The 11th IALI Congress & General Assembly was held from 13 – 14 June 2005 at the ILO Offices
4 Route des Morillons, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland.
The overall theme was “Safe, Healthy and Decent Work: the role of labour inspection”. The programmes was then divided into 8 separate sessions, covering the following 6 sub-themes mentioned below by speakers from Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia:
- Challenges facing labour inspection in the 21st Century,
- Improving inspectors’ status, powers and safety,
- Innovative intervention strategies in industrial relations, employment inspection and social standards protection,
- National programmes for OSH and the role of labour inspectorates,
- The implementation of OSH programmes: challenges, strategies and experiences,
- OSH programmes and strategies for specific sectors and risks.
Over 140 participants attended the event from all parts of the world. This was followed by the General Assembly on 15 June 2005 whereby the previous 3 years of activities were reviewed together with a financial report, and plans outlined for IALI’s future strategy. At the end of the meeting, a new Executive Committee was elected. IALI’s continuing aims are: a) To promote the professionalism of IALI members on all aspects of labour inspection, b) To provide an international forum for the exchange of experience in, and views about, labour inspection and the implementation of occupational health and safety and other employment legislation, c) To disseminate information about all matters through Congresses and conferences, and through its website, reports and other publications, in order to increase the impact and effectiveness of labour inspection, d) To be responsive to the needs of the members and to develop rolling programmes of events and activities that reflect those needs.
2005-2008 Main themes of action:
- Alliances– partnerships between governments, employers, unions, and others, and strengthening labour inspection through regional cooperation;
- Ethnics & Professionalism– the need for a global code of ethics and developing the foundation for professional labour inspection
- Influence– demonstrating the value of effective labour inspection and measuring effectiveness
Major outcomes of the major activities (2005-2008):
- The global Code of Integrity
- New regional activities and programmes across Asia, the Carribean, and the Pacific
- Increased membership of IALI
- Strengthened partnerships with a range of organisations including international employees and unions
If you have any questions, please contact the IALI Secretariat